A bit about me...

My name is Nicole Henderson. I am currently a student at the University of South Alabama pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education. I have high hopes of one day having my own classroom. This blog is intended for you to learn more about my interests in education.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Technology in the Classroom

This past semester has opened my eyes to the many uses that technology has in the classroom. I have come familiar with blogging; I've learned ways to use Google earth; I've even thought of different uses for Skype. Our world is getting smaller, and to keep up, we teachers need to tech literate. There are many resources out there for teachers if we are comfortable enough using the technology required to reach them. What better way to learn about the temperature in Alaska than to have a Skype conversation with a meteorologist that lives there? Wouldn't you have a better understanding of the Great Pyramids in Egypt if you could see them in a live streaming video versus looking at pictures of them in your text book? If you are teaching your students how to write a business letter, wouldn't you like for them to be published so others know the concerns of your students? You could blog about the letters, use Google earth to "go" to Egypt, and Skype with a scientist that lives hundreds of miles away, IF you aren't afraid of the technology required to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment