A bit about me...

My name is Nicole Henderson. I am currently a student at the University of South Alabama pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education. I have high hopes of one day having my own classroom. This blog is intended for you to learn more about my interests in education.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Progressivism Approach

I was influenced by a wonderful teacher at an early age. She taught me that if I want to truly learn something, I have to not only know facts about it, but I have to understand how it works. The best way to see something in action is to either go there, or do it yourself. Grades are a good indicator if you want to see how well students can repeat information they've been told to memorize. Grades aren't necessary, however, if your classroom time is spent doing projects that express how well you know a subject. I feel that as a future teacher, I have a responsibility to my students to not just get them to pass a test, but to really learn a subject. I will not only give students written tests, but hands on tests that they can be creative with in showing me a certain subjects content.

No comments:

Post a Comment