A bit about me...

My name is Nicole Henderson. I am currently a student at the University of South Alabama pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education. I have high hopes of one day having my own classroom. This blog is intended for you to learn more about my interests in education.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Incorporating Art into the Classroom

Studies show that incorporating art into a child's life is one of the best ways to encourage creativity and promote self-esteem. I believe this to be true. There are many ways that teachers can help facilitate this. In math, don't just have your students copy questions from the book and write their answers. Allow them to create the math problems using real-life situations. Let them write songs to help remember multiplication facts. Let them create their own tessellations. In history class, help students understand a particular war by having them make models of certain battles. Science is full of art! They can mix primary colors to create secondary colors. Have students go home and bring a leaf collection to school. Made rubbings with your leaves and label them. There is no need for art to only be found in a studio. Art is all around us, so let's use that in our classrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment